LAFC steamroll their way to victory

LAFC steamrolled past the Vancouver Whitecaps at the Banc of California Saturday, winning 6-1, and scoring a new club record.

They also set another record, as they became the fastest club to reach 100 points in the league.

With this latest victory, LAFC pushes their advantage at the top of the standings to nine points. Over the course of the last two matches, they have scored 11 goals and pushed their goal total to 50. In the meantime, their defense has continued to stand tall, allowing only 16 goals in 19 matches played.

Knowing that the fixtures are coming in waves over the next couple of weeks, Bob Bradley made a few changes to his lineup. 

There were three changes to the backline. Mohamed El Munir replaced Jordan Harvey at left back, Dejan Jakovic slotted into the center back role, and Tristian Blackmon moved out to right back.

Vancouver strikes early

It was not always smooth sailing for LAFC. Jakovic, in the fifth minute, could not connect with Pablo Sisniega on a simple back pass. Vancouver’s Yordy Reyna swooped in and fired into the empty net. 

From that moment on, however, it was all LAFC. 

Mark-Anthony Kaye came close to leveling the match in the 19th minute when he lined up a long-range attempt that narrowly missed the target.

Seven minutes later, Kaye unleashed another left-footed opportunity that forced Maxime Crepeau to push the shot above the crossbar.

LAFC open the floodgates

The momentum shift paid off in the 35th minute off of a corner kick. Carlos Vela sent his delivery into the box where Vancouver’s Andy Rose deflected it in for an own goal. 

With four minutes to go until halftime, LAFC took the lead for good off of another corner. Once more, Vela whipped a cross towards the far post and Adama Diomande sent his header back the other way. 

Goals came in quick succession after the restart. 

Kaye, who was immense in the first half, made a sparkling run through midfield. He danced by defenders before finishing the move off with a goal from outside the area inside sixty seconds.

The Mexican international grabbed goal number 18 nine minutes into the second half. Vela made a good run of his down the left before attempting his shot that took a big deflection before finding the net. 

Vela’s 19th goal came in the 70th minute in unusual fashion for the left winger. Kaye forced Crepeau into another save but the Whitecaps goalkeeper left a big rebound up for grabs. The club captain headed the ball into the net. 

LAFC’s pressure continued immediately after Vancouver restarted play. Eduard Atuesta’s shot pinged off the right post. Diego Rossi was there in the right spot at the right spot and his follow up attempt hit the underside of the post before hitting past the goalpost. 

Eduard Atuesta picked up a yellow card with ten minutes left in the match. Because of that, he will be suspended for the match against the Houston Dynamo.   

Next Up

LAFC are back on Wednesday as they take on the Portland Timbers in the U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals. Kickoff for this match is scheduled for 7:30 PM.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *