LAFC bounced from the U.S. Open Cup by Portland

LAFC were once again knocked out of the U.S. Open Cup, this time, by the Portland Timbers in the quarterfinal round. 

Jeremy Ebobisse scored with five minutes remaining to send the visiting side into the semifinal round, where they will face Minnesota United. 

Bob Bradley was able to use a fairly strong lineup, knowing what was at stake in this tournament. Walker Zimmerman, who recently returned from USMNT duty, was reinstated into the defense. However, Tyler Miller, also back from Gold Cup action, only made the bench with Pablo Sisniega getting the nod in between the sticks. 

Portland managed to get the first good look at goal 30 minutes into proceedings. Christhian Paredes dribbled into space before opening up the LAFC defense. He created enough room to unleash a shot that Sisniega did well to keep out of the goal.

Pablo Sisniega, a contender for taking over the starting goalkeeping spot, came up with a big save stop from close range. Off of the ensuing set piece, Larrys Mabiala fired near the six-yard box, but Sisniega was up for the challenge. The 24-year-old goalkeeper did not have much time to react before having to come up with a quick second save.

The Timbers were starting to get a foothold on the match as things progressed in the second half. Jordan Harvey, in the 70th minute, gave away possession high up the field. Luckily for him, he sprinted back towards the other box and managed to break up a Bryan Fernandez shot. 

Fernandez was asserting himself more into the Portland attack. Minutes later, he found more room to roam and got a better attempt away, but Sisniega was there again to keep things scoreless. 

Carlos Vela took a knock to his right knee late after a heavy challenge. After receiving treatment, the captain was able to go the full 90 minutes. With the quick turnaround, however, Bradley may want to rest his star forward.

Portland scores late

A second Harvey mistake eventually cost the hosts the match. The left back made a decent tackle near the edge of the area. The ball, though, deflected away right at the young Ebobisse, who slotted his effort beyond Sisniega.  

LAFC showed some fight after conceding. Vela had a freekick lined up in a dangerous spot. The attempt inched wide of its intended target in the end.

Once again, in the sixth minute of stoppage time, the Mexican international attempted an audacious bicycle kick. The shot, in the end, was blocked by Zarek Valentin.  

Next Up

Bob Bradley and LAFC are going to have to turn the page quickly. Their next match is on Friday, where they will take on the Houston Dynamo. Kickoff is scheduled for 6:00 PM.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *